So, it’s time to do one of those retrospective, introspective, year-that-was kind of things, I guess.
Some things I may or may not have learned this year, in no particular order:
- Achieve for your own sake. You’re the only one who gives a fuck.
- There is always going to be someone who knows more than you do. Shut up and learn something. Ask questions and listen to the answers.
- There is always going to be someone who knows less than you do. If they’re asking for help, give it. If they’re spouting bullshit, see item 3.
- Life is too short for bullshit.
- Some people will never like you. Trying to make them happy is a recipe for disaster.
- It took 36.5 years, but I’ve finally figured out a way to make eggs that doesn’t make me yark.
- People who don’t “get it” look at drive, dedication, and discipline towards self-improvement in much the same way that they view negative addiction-type behaviors.
- Satisfaction is good, but it’s not enough.
- It’s only money.
- Just because you can do it yourself doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it with friends.
- Just because something is a good idea doesn’t mean it’ll be popular.
- Sometimes you get better at something by doing something else.
- Responsibility is hard work, which is why almost nobody wants it.
- Anything that has to be described as a “food” or “beverage” on the label isn’t worth eating or drinking, either for the taste or the purported nutritional value.
- Yohimbe still makes me poop.
- Better living through chemistry is possible, but until they can make capsules or powders that feel or taste as good as a really nice steak, I’m glad I still have my teeth.