It seems like there is a coincidental conspiracy going on to get my kettlebells back in my hands while I convalesce, between T-Nat’s article on Farmer’s Walks this week, and a conversation with Hitman about how he takes some of the office dumbbells for a few laps during his workout as well.
Kettlebell Great 8 Farmer’s Walk
This Farmer’s Walk workout uses a kettlebell exercise thought up by Dan John called “heart beats.” Since the author on T-Nat didn’t bother to describe it, nor does anyone else, anywhere, I had to improvise – I’d do one set performing a two-handed press from my chest, basically like an inclined bench press, and for the other, I’d do a two-handed high pull.
- 8 one-arm KB swings, left arm. Walk 30m, KB suitcase-style in left hand.
- 8 one-arm KB swings, the right arm. Walk 30m, KB suitcase-style in left hand.
- 8 KB Snatches, left arm. Walk 30m, KB racked in left hand.
- 8 KB snatches, right arm. Walk 30m, KB racked in right hand.
- 8 Arnold Presses, left arm. Walk 30m, KB held overhead with left hand.
- 8 Arnold Presses, right arm. Walk 30m, KB held overhead with right hand.
- 8 two-arm KB swings. Walk 30m, doing two-handed incline presses every other step.
- 8 two-arm KB swings. Walk 30m, doing two-handed high pulls every other step.
I did three sets, with two minutes’ rest between them. Each set took about six minutes of continuous work, so the whole thing took 22 minutes.
“One Round Complete! Have a seat and marvel at the Rorschach test-like pile of vomit at your feet. What would Freud say?”
I don’t know about ol’ Sigmund, but I’d say that anyone who puked from doing this was either outdoors on a hot day or using too a heavy goddamned weight, because with a 36# KB, this was pretty damn easy. You’ll certainly feel it in the delts and the obliques and lats, and a little bit in the hips, but it’s not anything to write home about.
Followed that up with Front Levers (2×35 sec).
Omitted from Monday’s recap were 3×5 Dragon Flags and 1×10 single-leg deadlifts w/ both kettlebells.